We love to share cat grooming tips, but today we’re talking about another important initiative to support our feline friends. Did you know that June is the ASPCA’s Adopt a Shelter Cat Month? Not only is the program designed to bring awareness to cat adoption, but June also marks the month that typically has the highest number of large litters of kittens born. Unfortunately, many of these kittens end up in Portage area animal shelters.
If you think it might be time to adopt a cat and add to your family, it’s natural to wonder about all the steps you’ll have to take for successful adoption. You want to be sure you find the right cat to fit your lifestyle and that you’ve thought about veterinarian services, cat grooming services, and what items and food you may need to purchase and have in your home.
How to Successfully Transition Your Rescue Cat into Your Home
It’s an exhilarating time when you’ve decided to adopt a cat and know you’ll be bringing them home shortly. Since cats are territorial animals, coming into a new home will likely leave them feeling uneasy. To start things off on the right foot, provide a small area to call their own for the first few weeks. You can add their food, water, a litter box, and any at home essentials for cat grooming in this space.
Follow these additional tips for an easy transition:
- Bring the cat home in a cat carrier as it will provide a sense of safety.
- Once home, bring the cat directly to the small area you’ve set up.
- Sit on the floor and let the cat come to you in their own time. They may be frightened.
- Provide the same food as what they were eating at the shelter, at least to start.
- Don’t feel discouraged if your cat doesn’t seem comfortable right away. It may take them a week or two to adjust and remind all your family members to be patient.
- Make an appointment for your newly adopted cat to visit a Portage veterinarian to make sure they are doing well and that there are no health concerns that need attention.
- Find a local cat grooming service that you feel comfortable with and find out what service options are available for their first appointment.
Quality Cat Grooming Services at Smoochie Pooch
While cats are known for their interest in self-grooming, they do benefit from professional grooming services. An experienced groomer can help keep long-haired fur in excellent condition, reduce matting, ensure ears are clean to avoid infections and help reduce shedding. At Smoochie Pooch, we know what your kitty will love and take great pride in helping them enjoy their grooming experience. To learn more about cat grooming, contact us.