Looking for the best Yorkie dog groomers in the Schererville area? Before you settle on a groomer, make sure you know what you’re looking for when it comes to grooming your pet’s specific breed. Yorkies, formally known as Yorkshire Terriers, are a very small breed of dog with strong personalities. As with any specific breed, they have their own needs when it comes to caring for their hair and skin.
Yorkies tend to have sensitive skin and soft, silky coats. They don’t shed much, but they can be prone to allergies, which most often shows up as itchy skin. When it comes to dog grooming styles for this particular breed, there are several hairstyle options your groomer should be able to offer.
How to Find the Best Yorkie Groomers near Me
A professional groomer should be able to offer breed-specific grooming. In fact, this should be one of the first questions you ask when looking for a groomer. Yorkie dog groomers should be well versed in the structure of a Yorkie’s coat and what products will be tolerated by their sensitive skin.
So, are you wondering how you can find the “best Yorkie groomers near me”? Here are the steps you should expect a qualified groomer to take when determining the best approach to groom your tiny pup.
- Examine the texture and number of layers your Yorkie’s coat has. This will help choose the right brush that won’t irritate your dog’s skin.
- Use the right Yorkie shampoo and conditioner. While their coat type will help make this decision, your dog’s daily activity can also be a factor.
- Determine if a natural moisturizing conditioner is needed to replenish any natural skin and hair oils lost due to allergies.
- Speak with you to determine what dog grooming style you want for your Yorkie and not make assumptions about how you’d like them cut.
Basic Steps for Grooming Your Yorkie At Home between Appointments
While professional grooming appointments are very important, it’s a good idea to do some basic grooming at home in between appointments. While your Yorkie dog groomers are still the best ones to groom your pup on a regular basis, here’s what you can do at home:
- Brushing. This should be done every day and possibly twice a day if your dog has a longer cut for their breed. Don’t brush your Yorkie’s coat when completely dry. Instead, spritz some water or conditioner first and brush when damp.
- Bathing. Remember, because your dog is so small in stature, you really only need a very small amount of shampoo. Make sure you really rinse them well before moving on to the conditioner.
- Trimming. You may need to trim their nails and face at home. Ask your groomer for tips on how to do this safely.
Top Dog Grooming Styles for Your Yorkie at Smoochie Pooch
Any one of our Indiana salons, including our new Schererville location, would be pleased to welcome your Yorkie. At Smoochie Pooch, our groomers are highly trained in breed-specific grooming and know that every dog is unique. Our gentle and thorough approach means we can deal with all coat types, as well as any issues and concerns, all while ensuring your dog has a positive grooming experience. Make an appointment for your pet today and find out why Yorkies love Smoochie Pooch!