Every October, the ASPCA sponsors Adopt a Dog Month in hopes of helping as many dogs as possible find a loving forever home. Community shelters in Indiana and all across the country focus on matching as many dogs as possible with a compatible owner in the hopes of creating positive second chances.
Adopt a shelter dog month also brings about a greater awareness that adopting a pet is a safe and plausible way to add a dog to your family. Some people may be unsure about the process of adopting a rescue animal, and hopefully creating more awareness will lead to more pets being connected with the right people.
Adopt a Dog Month Can Help You Find Your Ideal Pet
There are so many wonderful things about shelter dogs. For those who have had rescue dogs before, you know how amazing it can be to create a bond with one of these special animals. While October is ‘adopt a shelter dog month’, we know that adopting one of these dogs is a great idea any month of the year!
Here are eight reasons why shelter dogs make wonderful pets:
- Many of them already have basic training.
- Since each shelter dog has their own profile, you can find out details about its personality to help determine a good match.
- You can see several pictures of them as part of their profile, and many people say that when they see the right picture, they just know that a certain dog is ‘the one’.
- When you adopt a dog, you’re spreading awareness about how wonderful it can be to adopt a shelter dog. Sharing your experience can lead to another dog being adopted!
- Shelter dogs seem to know they’ve been given a second chance and tend to make the most loving and loyal pets.
- You’ll most likely miss the tiring puppy stage. Since most shelter dogs are older, you won’t have to deal with common puppy issues such as biting and chewing.
- These amazing dogs cost less than buying a puppy from a breeder. Not only that, but they’ll likely already be spayed/neutered, microchipped, and vaccinated, which will also save you a lot of money.
- They’ll make you a hero. Not only are you saving their life, but you’re making room in the shelter for another dog to get their second chance too.
Could ‘adopt a shelter dog month’ be the right time for you to find your perfect companion? Reach out to local shelters in Indiana to find out more!
Adding a Dog to Your Family
Adding the right pet to your family can bring so much love and affection. Before you decide to adopt a dog, do your research and be sure you’re ready to take on the responsibility of being a dog owner. With October being ‘adopt a shelter dog month,’ we sincerely hope that many dogs find a loving home.
If you are lucky enough to adopt a dog, we’d love for you to bring them to Smoochie Pooch for grooming. Our team is highly trained and knows how to make your new furry family member feel their best so that they can make the most of their new life with you. Contact us to make an appointment.