When you bring a new puppy home, it’s normal for new owners to feel a bit overwhelmed. In addition to making sure you have all the supplies you need, you’ll likely also be thinking about training too. However, before you search for dog trainers near me, know that setting up the right behaviors and expectations should start as soon as you bring the puppy home.
You’ll certainly need to find training classes in Indiana, but basic obedience training is actually something you can start at home. In fact, depending on where you got your puppy from, they may have already learned some basic commands. Young puppies do have short attention spans, but starting from around eight weeks of age, you can begin reinforcing simple commands such as “sit” and “stay.”
What You Can Do Before Finding Dog Trainers “Near Me”
As expected, there are many factors to consider before choosing the right dog and puppy training classes for the new addition to your household. Location, training methods, age-appropriate classes, and instructor qualifications are all things that can play a role in finding the right option for your needs. As you research classes, make time to start basic obedience training at home.
Remember, an obedient dog makes it much easier to enjoy time with your pet in public, at home, and around other people and animals. Here are some tips to follow to get your puppy started on the right track:
- A puppy learns through the consequences of its behavior. When a behavior leads to an immediate treat, they’ll continue that behavior to keep getting rewards.
- Aim to work on training for 15 minutes a day. You can break up the 15 minutes into five-minute sessions if that works better for your puppy. The key is to keep sessions short, positive, and fun.
- If your puppy seems tired, distracted, bored, or frustrated, move the training session to another time.
- Once your puppy gets the hang of a command, practice it in different rooms and around different people.
- To avoid confusion, make sure you and other family members react to the puppy’s behavior the same way every time.
- Keep the commands you use clear, short, and sweet.
- Be patient. Basic obedience training takes time, and there will likely be some setbacks.
Welcoming a New Puppy: Set Yourself Up For Success
Whether you’re welcoming your very first puppy or you’ve been down this road before, most pet owners want to do all they can to ensure things get off on the right foot. In addition to finding vet and dog training classes in Indiana, you’ll also need a dog groomer you can trust. At Smoochie Pooch, we’ll always go the extra mile to ensure you and your pet have the best experience possible. Our skilled groomers know how to properly groom all breeds of dogs and can help your puppy get used to the grooming experience in a safe and positive way. To find out more about our services or to make an appointment at one of our four Indiana locations, visit our website or give us a call at (219)-286-3608.