We’ve talked before about the importance of pet nutrition and what you can add to their bowl, but what about treats? Tasty and natural treats for pups can come in many different forms, and it’s important to think about what you’re giving them between meals.
While it can be tempting to reward your dog with lots of treats or to share your food with them, most pets don’t actually need that many calories in a day. As such, you want to be sure you’re giving them healthy dog treats that will add to their overall health and wellbeing.
How to Find the Best Dog Treats
Just like researching for top dog groomers in Schererville, you’ll want to spend some time researching dog treats as well. Here are some helpful tips for pet owners that can be used to find treats that work for your pet’s needs.
- Treats should never make up more than 10 percent of daily caloric intake, so be sure to choose healthy dog treats that clearly state the calories in each treat.
- In addition to the calorie count, check to see how much fat is in each treat. While a higher fat content may make the treat tasty, it can lead to weight gain.
- If you’re looking for natural treats for pups that keep your pet in good health, try foods from your own kitchen like blueberries, apples, or carrots.
- Avoid treats with any artificial sweeteners like xylitol or any allergy triggers.
- Just like with the food you’d like to eat, look for treats with a low number of ingredients and an ingredient list that’s easy to understand.
- Talk to your Schererville veterinarian about grain-free treats to see if they’re the right fit for your dog.
- The size of the treat should also be appropriate for the size of your dog. Small dogs shouldn’t be given large treats.
In addition to natural treats for pups that can be used as a reward or for training, there are also specific treats designed to support dental health. Dental treats can really help your dog’s breath and work to clean their teeth by removing plaque too.
Your Pet Deserves The Best!
You love your dog and only want to give them treats they enjoy, and that keep them healthy. In addition to good nutrition, dog groomers also play a significant role in the overall health of your pet. At Smoochie Pooch, we know that when your pet’s skin and coat are well-maintained and in good condition, they’ll have a better quality of life. That’s why our highly trained groomers treat each pet with care and kindness while ensuring all their individual grooming needs are met. To make an appointment at one of our Indiana salons, including our new Schererville location, contact us.