It’s pretty easy to picture a dog swimming happily in the water on a hot Indiana summer day. However, did you know that not all dogs like water or even know how to swim? Whatever breed your pet may be, it’s really important to know common dog water safety tips to ensure they stay safe and accident-free.
Feeling confident when your dog is around water really starts with basic obedience training. Ideally, your pup should come when called and should only jump into a pool or lake once you give the okay. Another way to positively handle a swimming pet is to ensure that they’re regulars when it comes to dog grooming services. A well-maintained coat will make it much easier to deal with wet fur or hair after they’ve enjoyed a swim.
Top Summer Water Safety Tips for Dogs
You’ll likely know pretty quickly what you’re dog’s water preferences are based on their behavior, but even dog’s that love to swim still require caution and supervision. Follow these dog water safety tips to help make sure your pet stays as safe as possible.
- Never throw a dog into the water, even if it’s shallow.
- Do not leave your dog unattended around water.
- If you have a pool, take the time to show your dog how to get out using the steps. Have them practice exiting the pool until they confidently understand where and how to exit.
- Even if your dog loves swimming, make sure to get them out for a rest every so often. A tired dog is at greater risk for drowning.
- Invest in a dog lifejacket if you are out on a boat or around the water a lot.
- Don’t let your dog drink pool, lake, or ocean water. Keep fresh water available to drink at all times.
- Rinse your dog off after swimming to get rid of bacteria or pool chlorine which can cause skin irritations and dry skin.
- After rinsing, brush your dog using a conditioning spray to get out tangles and avoid mats. Consider increasing the frequency of dog grooming services over the summer if your dog is in and out of the water a lot.
- Dry their ears after swimming to prevent infection.
- Since heat from the sun is more intense around water, be sure to watch your dog for signs of sunburn or heat stroke.
By keeping these summer water safety tips for dogs in mind, you and your pet can focus on enjoying the beautiful weather and having fun together.
Where to Find Top Dog Grooming Services in Indiana
If you’re looking for pet groomers that will help your dog look and feel its best, look no further than Smoochie Pooch. With Indiana locations in Valparaiso, Fort Wayne, Crown Point, Portage, and Schererville, our trained groomers are ready to help you with all your dog or cat grooming needs. We know you only want the best for your pet, and at Smoochie Pooch, you can rest easy knowing we’ll take care of your pet’s individual needs. If you want to get the most out of summer, be sure to book your dog for a grooming appointment, so they’re ready for all your sunny adventures!