Dogs can add so much joy to our lives and make excellent companions. But it’s important to remember that since they are still animals, they will need training and reinforcement to demonstrate and maintain good behavior. Building positive behavior in dogs should be a goal, right from the start, and everyone in the family needs to be on board with that goal.
When your dog is feeling bored or wants your attention, they may gravitate towards naughty behavior, like when they feel nervous, such as before a vet or a dog groomer’s appointment. Luckily, there are plenty of ways that you can encourage positive behavior and help your dog be the best that it can be.
H2: Building Up Positive Behavior in Dogs
Dog groomers in Fort Wayne certainly appreciate when owners work to ensure their pets demonstrate good behavior. Good behavior not only helps those who interact with your dog but makes the dog feel better about themselves too, as they’ll get rewarded more often.
To develop and encourage positive behavior in canines, you should try these tips:
- Spend quality time together. When dogs feel loved, they will reciprocate the feeling and try to please you.
- Make time for daily exercise. The need for exercise will vary based on your dog’s size and breed. No matter what type of dog you have, daily activity will help our pets spend their energy so that they’re in a better state of mind to listen to your commands.
- Train them. Start with basic commands at a young age. Training is vital in being able to manage your dog more easily. Dogs enjoy following orders and knowing who the leader is. Giving them boundaries and rules to mind is a positive thing for them.
- Introduce them to others. Dogs who get the chance to be around other dogs and people tend to be friendly and develop better behaviors.
- Reward behavior you want to see. Reward your dog every time they show good behavior. A small treat, petting, or praising will let them know you like what you see. It means a lot to them when they’re recognized as a good pup!
H3: Dog Training for Positive Behavior
If you’re looking for outside support to encourage and teach your dog positive behaviors, there are many options to consider. Start by asking your Fort Wayne dog groomers or veterinarian for any training company recommendations. If you’re keen to get started right away, don’t forget that many helpful books and videos are available.
In addition to dog training for positive behavior, when your dog looks and feels their best, they’ll also have a better overall demeanor. Regular grooming ensures their coat is mat-free, their nails aren’t overgrown, and they aren’t feeling uncomfortable with itchy skin. They’ll be ready to play and to enjoy spending time with you and your family! To book a grooming appointment with a top-rated Fort Wayne groomer, contact Smoochie Pooch.