Congratulations on making the decision to add a cat to your family! Whether this is your first time adopting a feline or not, it’s always helpful to do some research and be clear about what you’re looking for. Depending on the animal you choose, things like cat grooming, food type, and vet expenses will vary, so picking a cat that you know fits into your life and you can care for properly is important.
If you’re interested in adopting a pet, look around your local Indiana community for options. Animal rescues, shelters, and pet stores will have details on cats that need to find their forever home. Adult cats as well as kittens, long haired or short haired, most rescues will have all different types of cats available making it easy for you to find the one for you.
5 Questions to Help You Choose the Best Cat for Your Lifestyle
In most cases, mature cats will already be spayed or neutered, have been vet-checked, vaccinated and possibly evaluated for temperament before you meet them. Pet grooming for cats will also have been done meaning that their nails will be trimmed, ears will be cleaned and their hair will be brushed out or cut.
To help you find the right cat for your family, ask yourself these questions:
- What’s your home environment like? If you already have other pets or young kids, you need a cat that can thrive in a busy environment. Watch for mature cats or kittens that are curious, love to play and are easily interested in being picked up or touched.
- What’s your schedule like? Contrary to popular belief, not all cats like their solitude. There are breeds of cats that need companionship. If you work long days outside the home, you need an animal that is okay with being alone for long periods of time.
- What type of cat grooming will the animal need? Long-haired cats and short-haired cats have different grooming needs. While many people think cats will take care of all their grooming on their own, regular pet grooming for cats will actually keep your pet healthier and happier.
- What cat are you drawn to when you observe them? When adopting a pet, you need to trust your heart. When visiting an adoption location, you’ll find yourself naturally drawn to a few cats just by the way they move, interact with other cats or observe the world. Trust that instinct!
- Do you connect when you meet face to face? You want to look for a cat that isn’t intimidated by you and that seems curious and open to interacting with you. Keep in mind that some cats may have experienced trauma so they may not want to sit on your lap right away, but if you feel like they respond positively to your presence, that’s a key sign that you may have found your feline match.
Expert Cat Grooming for Your Rescue Cat from Smoochie Pooch
Once you have your new feline family member home with you, we know you’ll want them to feel their best. Smoochie Poochoffers pet grooming for catsat our Crown Point and Fort Wayne salons as well as in our mobile pet spa which serves the northwest Indiana area. From helping to avoid mats on long haired cats to reducing the amount your short hair cat sheds, our expert groomers know exactly what your cat needs to keep healthy. To find out more about our cat grooming services, contact us.