Known for their devoted companionship and friendly demeanor, golden retrievers remain one of the most popular dog breeds in North America. Even with plenty of positives to offer, they do, however, leave owners searching for ‘the best golden retriever groomers near me’ thanks to their luscious coats.
There certainly is no doubt that their hair is beautiful, but it does require special instructions in order to keep it shiny, healthy, and looking fabulous. Experienced golden retriever dog groomers know the best way to keep things in check and can provide tips for at-home grooming in between regular appointments with your Fort Wayne groomer.
Tips from Golden Retriever Dog Groomers
Keeping your golden retriever happy and healthy means you’ll need to prioritize tending to their coat. This breed of dog sheds frequently and sheds a lot since they have double coats. Neglecting their grooming needs will likely result in tangles and painful matting.
In order to keep their coat healthy and the shedding under control, it’s important to brush them often, ideally using a bristle brush and undercoat rake to get the best results. In addition to frequent brushing, professional golden retriever dog groomers offer the following tips:
- Increase brushing frequency even more when you notice the weather getting warmer and your dog starts to shed their thick undercoat.
- If you bathe them at home, be sure to use a high-quality shampoo to avoid damaging their hair.
- Never shave your golden retriever. Their coat is the way it is for a reason, and they need it to keep them cool and protect them from the sun and other issues.
- Since this breed has a tendency to get ear infections, have their ears checked and cleaned regularly.
- Because they do have longer hair, make sure that the hair around their paw pads is always trimmed, so they don’t slide excessively on floors and other slippery surfaces.
Dog Grooming Styles for Golden Retrievers
It’s important to find dog groomers in Fort Wayne that are familiar with breed-specific grooming. Not only can your groomer trim your dog to your specifications, but they will also help you learn more about the best types of grooming styles for your particular pet.
When it comes to golden retrievers, two common dog grooming styles include:
- A Simple Trim – This preferred style stays true to your golden retriever’s natural hair. Your dog will have light trimming and feathering, as well as thinning out their hair around the neck and chest. This cut should only be chosen if you can commit to brushing it out regularly at home.
- A Teddy Cut – More popular during the warmer weather, this cut has the hair on your dog’s body clipped to a shorter length, while their legs are scissored to keep the natural shape of their coat. The tail and paw area are also cut shorter than with a simple cut.
Find the Best Golden Retriever Groomers Near Me
At Smoochie Pooch, all of your golden retriever’s grooming needs will be met. With experience in breed-specific grooming, you have our commitment to ensuring your dog gets the attention to detail they deserve. We’ll work with you to find the style that fits your needs and will bring your pet back to you looking and feeling fantastic. To learn more about our services or to book an appointment, contact us.